When you’re looking to increase your website conversion rate, it can be difficult to know where to start. Luckily, there are effective and proven tactics that can help you reach your goals. From targeted messaging to design tweaks, these strategies will help optimise the performance of your website.
By making the right changes in the right place, you can elevate your website’s performance and increase conversions which is defined as visitors taking a desired action on your website.
Whether that’s signing up for an email list or purchasing a product, each method outlined below will improve the chances of getting users to take the actions you want them to take.
So without further long introductions, read on for five proven ways to increase conversion rates on your website:
What is Conversion Rate?
Conversion rate is the percentage of website visitors who take a desired action, such as clicking on a purchase button or filling out a contact form. It’s an important metric for any online business, because it shows how effective your website is at driving leads and sales.
Studies have shown that even small changes to web design and content can have a big impact on conversion rates. By improving your website and optimising your marketing campaigns, you can dramatically improve the chances of customers converting into paying customers.
It’s important to understand what factors may be driving engagement with your site.
Does the content on your home page provide enough information to compel visitors to take action?
Are there enough visual cues directing people toward calls-to-action?
Is the text too long or too short?
All of these things can influence whether someone will convert or not, so understanding how these elements work together to maximise conversion rate is important.
Some proven methods for improving website conversion rate are:
- Increase the visibility of calls-to-action: make sure that CTAs are positioned prominently on pages where users are likely to convert. Try using A/B testing to determine which elements capture users’ attention most effectively.
- Use persuasive copywriting: craft compelling headlines, subheadings and supporting text that encourages visitors to click on CTA buttons or fill out contact forms.
- Offer incentives: discount codes and vouchers can draw more people in if used strategically.
- Ensure user experience is top quality: utilise usability principles such as clear navigation, responsive design and intuitive user flows when creating pages so pop-ups don’t annoy users when they visit.
- Optimise for mobile devices: since mobile usage has overtaken desktop usage now its essential that webpages are optimised for small screen sizes. Make sure sites load quickly and look great no matter what device they’re viewed on!
More Factors That Impact Conversion Rate
The conversion rate of a website depends on a number of factors that should be taken into consideration when planning for desired outcomes.
Understanding how to increase your conversion rate requires an understanding of why visitors come to your website and how they interact with it.
To start, consider the design and general UX of your website; this includes page aesthetics and navigation. Poorly designed pages with confusing navigation can quickly turn potential customers away.
Thumbprint Media can help with that. Our experienced team can design and build the most user friendly website possible. Whether you need a web design in Wakefield, or Washington, USA, we have a wide range of knowledge on all industries and demographics and are happy to help.
Second, look beyond the design; does your page have relevant content that aligns with customer needs? Is it optimised for search engine visibility? Does it have plenty of clear calls-to-action? Are there informational resources such as blog posts or product comparisons to give visitors helpful information?
Third, look closely at the customer journey—where did they enter the site from, and how do they flow from page to page? If you’re seeing too many abandonments or cart abandonment rates are high, consider whether any steps in the customer journey are deterring customers from completing a purchase.
Fourth, does your checkout process provide a good user experience? Is it easy for customers to add items to their cart and proceed through checkout without having issues completing their order (e.g., is payment processing reliable)? Reducing order abandons is an important step in improving overall conversation rates.
Finally, look at tools such as A/B testing and data analysis that can help you continue fine-tuning changes over time to optimise each step in the customer journey based on user behaviour data. This way you can be sure that you’re making decisions based on up-to-date facts instead of just assumptions about what would work best for customers.
5 Tips to Optimise Landing Pages
Landing pages are dedicated pages on your website that are designed with the sole purpose of encouraging users to take a specific action.
Optimising your landing pages is crucial for increasing your website conversion rate. Here are five tips to help you improve your landing page performance:
- Create a Clear Call-to-Action: As the name suggests, landing pages should focus on driving people to take a certain action and your message should be crystal clear. Make sure that visitors know exactly what action to take and why they should take it immediately.
- Include Social Proof: People tend to follow the lead of others, so include customer testimonials, case studies or any other form of social proof where possible. It will help reassure visitors that they are making the right decision by taking action on your page.
- Keep it Simple: Too much choice can overwhelm visitors, resulting in fewer people taking action, so try and keep things as simple as possible—only include the most relevant information and try not to bombard visitors with too many options or buttons.
- Tell Your Story: Your content should be engaging and tell a story that resonates with potential customers, as well as explaining why your offer is better than others out there in the marketplace.
- Make it Mobile Friendly: With more than half of all website visits now coming from mobile devices, it’s important to make sure that all parts of your site are optimised for mobile viewing—especially when it comes to the call-to-action button on your landing page!
By defining a primary objective, such as amount of clicks, sign-ups, or purchases, you can experiment with different elements on each version of the page to improve performance and conversion rates.
This could involve changes like:
- Button size & colour
- Call to Action text & size
- Product packaging
- Placement of elements on the page
- Image selection
- Length & structure of content
Although A/B tests require patience and specialised knowledge to design experiments that accurately measure results, they are an invaluable tool for improving online conversions. By understanding the needs and preferences of your target audience through rigorous experimentation, you can identify what changes are needed for increased engagement and better performance across your website.
Personalisation plays a key role in achieving optimal conversion rates. By providing personalization strategies for website visitors, you can create tailored experiences on a more meaningful level.
When you understand your visitors better, it’s easier to match their needs and expectations.
Personalising the content and messages across different channels of communication will help to ensure that your customers get the right information based on their individual needs or preferences.
Moreover, you can use personalisation techniques to target your customers with relevant offers or discounts at different points of their customer journey.
These techniques like email nurturing campaigns will increase website engagement rate and encourage people to take action on your site.
Again, A/B testing is another technique that can be used to test various elements present in the page design for better results.
If executed correctly, website personalisation should help you increase the conversion rate of your website.
When it comes to increasing your website’s conversion rate, it’s important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Take the time to understand your target audience and their needs, create a user-friendly website, and A/B test your pages until you find the perfect combination that works for your business.
By following the five tips outlined in this article, you can give yourself the best chance of optimising your website for conversions.
Need help with all this? Well, Thumbprint Media has you covered. Our affordable SEO packages, Web design and graphic design, and digital marketing means we are a one-stop shop to help you and your business grow.
Use engaging images and videos, create compelling headlines and content, optimise for mobile devices, provide plenty of ways for customers to contact you and slow down decision fatigue with fewer input fields to fill out – these are just some of the proven tactics that will help ensure a boost in conversions on your site.